Thursday, July 1, 2010

Recipe Thursday - Meatloaf & Death Potatoes



Each Thursday, I am going to be sharing a recipe with you!I will pick a recipe from my collection and I will be sharing where I got the recipe and everything. But I am going to include my own photo of the finished food, the original recipe, and try and share the things I changed when I made it!

I would love your help too! If you have a great recipe, especially week-night dinner recipes (but I would love all kinds of recipes) - please share it with me, by emailing me at dedesmith32@gmail.com. I will try it out and feature it on my blog! If you have cooking tips or anything else in regards to cooking and food - please email me!


This week's Recipe:
This is actually 2 separate recipes, but I always serve these together! They compliment each other very well. I've been making this since I was married and over the last 11 years I have created this meal to suit my own family's tastes. It is my husband's absolute favorite meal that I have ever and probably will ever make. I admit - that it is actually kind of hard to make a recipe out of this because by now I don't even measure any of the ingredients - I just throw it all together, so I'll just have to do the best I can.

These potatoes are actually called Sour Cream Potatoes - but in the LDS Culture (and maybe other religions as well) they are called Funeral Potatoes because they are often served at funeral luncheons. It is a wonderful comfort food. My husband always calls them Death Potatoes, so that's just what they are known around my house. If you didn't want to make it with meatloaf - some diced ham into the casserole is extremely good - I've often served it with ham for Christmas dinner!

I've made the meatloaf in the oven a lot - but the past few years, I've enjoyed cooking it in the crockpot - it's very tender and doesn't get dried out!


Meatloaf & Death (Funeral) Potatoes
by DeDe Smith

Death Potatoes
I like to make the potatoes ahead of time (either the day before or the morning before) and just put it in the fridge and then stick it in the oven an hour before serving!
8-10 potatoes
16 oz sour cream
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup melted butter
1 can corn
grated cheese
crushed corn flakes
melted butter

Boil the potatoes (with the skins still on) until done. Don't let them get too soft. Peel and dice the potatoes.
Mix sour cream, cream of chicken soup, butter, corn and grated cheese into a casserole dish. Add the potatoes and mix well.
Put melted butter into a ziploc bag and add the corn flakes. Mix in bag until corn flakes are all covered in butter and then top the potatoes.
Bake at 375 degrees for an hour if you had made it ahead of time and usually about 30-45 minutes if not made ahead of time. Just until it's all bubbly.

Meatloaf
You can just use 2 lbs of hamburger if you don't have the pork sausage. This will cook in your large crockpot!
2 eggs
1 cup milk
minced onion
1 lb hamburger
1 lb pork sausage
Crushed Ritz Crackers
4 slices of wheat bread
baby carrots
1 package Beef Gravy Mix
BBQ Sauce

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and add milk and onion. Mix well. Add hamburger and pork sausage. Then add enough crackers and bread so that the meatloaf mixture is easily formable and not runny. (I usually mix this with my hands so that it all gets mixed in very well).
Fill the bottom of your LARGE Crockpot with baby carrots (1 layer). Sprinkle your Beef Gravy mix over the top of the carrots. Then place your meatloaf on top of the carrots - (use your hands to create a loaf of the mixture). Pour BBQ Sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
Cook for 5-6 hours on high and 8-10 hours on low.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress,         Blogger...

2 comments :

patchas said...

Our granddaughter, who is a very picky eater, is coming to visit. This sounds like something she would love (us too!) Thanks for sharing.

Stater said...

Say DeDe.... have you ever tried cranberry meatloaf? It is really good!!

Thanks for sharing you recipe with us.