Thursday, March 26, 2015

Recipe Thursday | Chocolate Steamed Pudding

Heavenly Chocolate Steamed Pudding
by DeDe Smith
adapted from two peas and their pod

This week's Recipe:
My Grandpa & Grandma Sorensen lived next to us growing up and we saw them everyday. They were a big part of my life. I miss them. Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about them lately and one of my greatest memories was Sunday dinners. We always had Sunday Dinner at their house and my Grandma was a good cook. One of the things that I loved best was when she would make Steamed Pudding. I don't have her recipe and I've really been wanting to try it again.  Many people that I mentioned this to had never even heard of steamed pudding. It is like a very moist cake that has a pudding like sauce at the bottom. So I started looking on the internet and I came across a Chocolate Pudding Cake that sounded just about like the one my Grandma made. Now I was young the last time I had this from my Grandma (and I seem to remember her using a special bundt pan for hers), but it tasted heavenly and I'm pretty sure it was close to my Grandma's recipe. 

I did some minor adjustments with the recipe - basically making it more chocolately. It definitely looks like a mess, especially after you pour the boiling water over the top. But it totally cooks to perfection - I promise and its so easy! It's definitely very rich, but with ice cream and whipped cream- its just divine.  And I love that since it is so rich, a little goes a long way! I made this on a Sunday and we had it for dessert for several days. We liked it best warm, but it could be served cold or at room temperature if you prefer.


Try it - you won't regret it!


2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips
2 tbsp unsalted butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 1/2 cups boiling water

Vanilla Ice Cream

Whipped Cream Topping
Chocolate & Carmel Topping


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.

Combine flour, half of the brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined very well making sure there are no lumps of brown sugar. Stir in chocolate chips.

Melt the butter and chocolate together over medium-low heat. A double boiler really works great for this. You want to keep stirring so that it doesn't stick and burn.

Heat the buttermilk over low heat until barely warmed and then remove from heat. You don't want this to boil-make sure it is just warmed.

Remove chocolate and butter mixture from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour mixture over dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk and stir until mixed well. Spread into the prepared pan.

Take the rest of the brown sugar and combine with the cocoa until smooth. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the batter.

Pour the boiling water slowly and evenly over the batter in the pan. (Don't mix)

Bake in oven for 40 minutes. Serve with Ice Cream and Whipped Cream and use the extra sauce in the pan to spread on top, along with additional Chocolate and Carmel Topping.

Keep any leftovers in the refrigerator and just warm each serving up in the microwave for a few seconds.

______________________________
On Recipe Thursdays, I am going to be sharing a recipe with you! I will pick a recipe from my collection and I will be sharing where I got the recipe and everything. But I am going to include my own photo of the finished food, the original recipe, and try and share the things I changed when I made it!

I would love your help too! If you have a great recipe, especially week-night dinner recipes (but I would love all kinds of recipes) - please share it with me, by emailing me at dedesmith32@gmail.com. I will try it out and feature it on my blog! If you have cooking tips or anything else in regards to cooking and food - please email me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress,         Blogger...

0 comments :