Thursday, September 27, 2012

Recipe Thursday | Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies

This week's Recipe: 
So I shared this recipe a couple of years ago. The original was from Bakerella, but I have now added my own personal touches and have made it my own! These are the perfect treat for holidays (especially Christmas and Valentine's Day) and really any day that you want to make better!  When you usually think of homemade oreos - you think of using a chocolate cake mix - but I promise you the Red Velvet ones are so much better!

Red Velvet Cookies by DeDe Smith
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
by DeDe Smith
Ingredients:
1 box red velvet cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ingredients until combined. 

Put a spoonful of cookie batter into your hand and roll it into a ball. Place onto baking sheet about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool.
Cream Cheese Filling
1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 pound of powdered sugar
1 tsp Vanilla

In a mixer: cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Gradually add sugar and mix until smooth.

* You can just use a jar of store-bought cream cheese frosting too! 


Spread filling one one cookie and then top with another one!


Makes about 24 cookies or 12 cookie sandwiches.
 

MORE FUN:

Now here's where you can get lots more creative and make these cookies more festive!


** Using small metal cookie cutters - take the cooled baked cookies and cut out shapes. Then put small amount of filling in between 2 shaped cookies.




*  Try coloring your filling!


* After filling and topping your cookies - roll sides in sprinkles!







YUMMY and so much fun! Have your kids help too!

______________________________
Each Thursday, I am going to be sharing a recipe with you! I will pick a recipe from my collection and I will be sharing where I got the recipe and everything. But I am going to include my own photo of the finished food, the original recipe, and try and share the things I changed when I made it!

I would love your help too! If you have a great recipe, especially week-night dinner recipes (but I would love all kinds of recipes) - please share it with me, by emailing me at dedesmith32@gmail.com. I will try it out and feature it on my blog! If you have cooking tips or anything else in regards to cooking and food - please email me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress,         Blogger...

0 comments :