Thursday, August 30, 2012

Recipe Thursday - Lemon Chicken Costoletta


This week's Recipe:
This had such great flavor and was a big hit in my family - especially for my husband. I loved that the lemon flavor was not so overwhelming but had the perfect balance. Such a filling and delicious meal!

Lemon Chicken Costoletta


Chicken:
5 chicken breasts, cut in 1/2 horizontally (so they are thinner and easier to brown)
2 t. lemon pepper seasoning
1. Montreal Steak Seasoning or Garlic Seasoning (another great seasoning mix from Sam's Club)
Zest of one lemon
⅓ c. cornstarch

2 eggs

Breadcrumb Mixture:
1 ½ c. seasoned breadcrumbs
¼ c. grated parmesan cheese

Lemon Sauce:
½ red onion, diced very small
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. butter
1 T. Dijon mustard
Juice of one lemon
Zest of one lemon
½ t. black pepper
½-1 t. salt
1 T. cornstarch
8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
1 c. chicken broth
1 ½ c. whole milk (or half & half)
½ c. parmesan cheese


Place the chicken breasts and seasonings into a large bag or bowl and cover chicken breasts evenly with mixture.

In another bowl combine 2 eggs and beat until smooth. Mix together breadcrumb mixture.

Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture until covered. Dip the wet chicken breasts into the breadcrumb and cheese mixture.

Once the chicken breasts are breaded, place a few of them in a saute pan that has been heated to a medium high temperature. Let 2 T. butter melt and place the chicken breasts into the melted butter. Let the chickens stay in the pan until they are a golden brown color. Turn the chicken breasts over to the other side and continue to brown on the second side. Don't cook the chicken all the way through, just brown it.
 

Place the browned chicken breasts onto a cookie sheet or in a 9x13 pan and continue browning all of the chicken breasts. Keep the chicken in the oven at 350 for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until the center of the chicken is no longer pink.
 

Don't clean out the pan that you browned the chicken in. Saute the onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes on low heat, or until the onions are soft.
 

To the onions, add mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, pepper, salt, and cornstarch.
 

Let the sauce begin to thicken and then add mushrooms and broth. Continue to stir the sauce until the mushrooms are soft and tender.
 

Once you are about ready to serve the sauce and the chicken is done, add milk and parmesan. Keep the sauce on low heat and let it simmer until the sauce is to your desired thickness (it will continue to thicken as it sits).
 

Serve the breaded and cooked chicken on a plate with a generous amount of the lemon sauce on top of the chicken. Serve the chicken with mashed potatoes and a steamed vegetable for a delicious meal!

______________________________
Each Thursday, I am going to be sharing a recipe with you! I will pick a recipe from my collection and I will be sharing where I got the recipe and everything. But I am going to include my own photo of the finished food, the original recipe, and try and share the things I changed when I made it!

I would love your help too! If you have a great recipe, especially week-night dinner recipes (but I would love all kinds of recipes) - please share it with me, by emailing me at dedesmith32@gmail.com. I will try it out and feature it on my blog! If you have cooking tips or anything else in regards to cooking and food - please email me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress,         Blogger...

0 comments :