Thursday, July 12, 2012

Recipe Thursday - Buttermilk Biscuits & Sausage Gravy



Each Thursday, I am going to be sharing a recipe with you!I will pick a recipe from my collection and I will be sharing where I got the recipe and everything. But I am going to include my own photo of the finished food, the original recipe, and try and share the things I changed when I made it!

I would love your help too! If you have a great recipe, especially week-night dinner recipes (but I would love all kinds of recipes) - please share it with me, by emailing me at dedesmith32@gmail.com. I will try it out and feature it on my blog! If you have cooking tips or anything else in regards to cooking and food - please email me!


This week's Recipe:
I love biscuits and gravy. They are the ultimate comfort food for me. I still haven't found the perfect gravy recipe yet. This one was pretty good and flavorful - I will probably play with it a little more to get it exactly how I want it. 


But the Biscuits! Wow - these are so perfect. I made them 3 times in a week after I tried it the first time. These biscuits work great with gravy or just serve it with your dinner with some honey. Soo good. I have many memories of going up to the family ranch for a cook-out and having my Grandpa Sorensen make his amazing buttermilk biscuits in the dutch oven. We would sneak pieces of the dough - it was really that good. This is the closest recipe that I have ever had to what my Grandpa's tasted like. Yum!


Buttermilk Biscuits 
by Pennies on a Platter
  
& Sausage Gravy
by Simply Recipes


Biscuits:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
8 Tablespoons cold butter, diced right before using
1 cup cold buttermilk


Arrange the oven rack in the center of the oven, preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with butter, oil, or cooking spray.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender, your hands, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal and none of the pieces of butter is bigger than the size of a pea. Be careful not to overwork. Using a rubber spatula, fold the buttermilk into the flour mixture just until all of the flour is moistened.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead lightly two or three times until the dough comes together (but should still be somewhat crumbly.) Gently pat the dough out until it's a 6-inch square. Cut the dough into 9 squares.

Place the biscuits onto the prepared baking sheet and bake until light golden brown and firm to the touch, about 12 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Store in a zipper bag on the counter. Reheat in a 350 degree preheated oven until warm for optimal texture the next day. 


Gravy: 
1 lb sage-flavored pork sausage
¼ cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
6 tbsp all purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
½ tsp poultry seasoning
½ tsp ground nutmeg (I think I will not put nutmeg in it next time)
¼ tsp salt
1-2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1-2 dashes of Tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, or other hot sauce
1-2 tbsp butter or bacon grease (if needed)

Preheat a 4-quart saucepan over medium high heat (put a few drops of water in the pan – when they evaporate, you know the pan is ready). Crumble the sausage into the pan and let it brown for a minute or two, then turn down to medium heat. Continue cooking, breaking up the sausage into smaller pieces, until no pink remains. Stir in the onions and cook until they are transparent.
Remove sausage with a slotted spatula or spoon, leaving the drippings in the pan. If less than 3 tbsp of drippings remain, add enough butter (or bacon grease) to equal about 3 tbsp of drippings. Add the cooked sausage back to the pan on medium heat, and sprinkle the flour over the sausage. Stir in the flour and cook for about 6-8 minutes, until the mixture starts bubbling and turns slightly golden brown.
Stir in poultry seasoning, nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and salt – cook for 1 minute to deepen the flavors. Slowly add the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened (about 15 minutes). Be patient, it will thicken!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress,         Blogger...

0 comments :