Thursday, July 7, 2011

Recipe Thursday - Mexican Layer Dip, Guacamole, & Salsa



Each Thursday, I am going to be sharing a recipe with you!I will pick a recipe from my collection and I will be sharing where I got the recipe and everything. But I am going to include my own photo of the finished food, the original recipe, and try and share the things I changed when I made it!

I would love your help too! If you have a great recipe, especially week-night dinner recipes (but I would love all kinds of recipes) - please share it with me, by emailing me at dedesmith32@gmail.com. I will try it out and feature it on my blog! If you have cooking tips or anything else in regards to cooking and food - please email me!


This week's Recipe:
I realize I should have posted these in May instead - but this is a great snack/side dish for summer too! We made all this for our Cinco de Mayo celebration and it turned out really yummy! So give it a try!

Guacamole
by Leigh Ann from Your Homebased Mom
Salsa & Mexican Layer Dip
by Ree from The Pioneer Woman


Salsa
1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
¼ cups Chopped Onion
1 clove Garlic, Minced
1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
¼ teaspoons Sugar
¼ teaspoons Salt
¼ teaspoons Ground Cumin
½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
½ whole Lime Juice


Note: this is a very large batch. Recommend using a 12-cup food processor, or you can process the ingredients in batches and then mix everything together in a large mixing bowl.

Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—I do about 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.

Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips or cheese nachos.


Guacamole
2-3 avocados, depending on size. Peel, pit and mash
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 c diced onion
3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 pinch cayenne
1 tsp salt


In bowl, use a fork to mash together the avocados. Add in the lime juice, and salt. Mix in onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and garlic. Stir in cayenne pepper. Refrigerate 1 hour or serve immediately.


Mexican Layer Dip
1 can Refried Beans
Tabasco Sauce, To Taste
1 can Diced Green Chilies
Ground Cumin, to taste
¾ cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Sour Cream
1 cup Guacamole
¾ cups Monterey Jack Cheese
1 can Black Olives
1 cup Pico De Gallo
* Instead of Pico De Gallo - I just used some of the Salsa (recipe above)


Begin by throwing the refried beans into a small pan over medium-low heat. Add several dashes of Tabasco sauce and a small can of (undrained) diced green chilies. Stir well. Next, sprinkle a little bit of ground Cumin.

Spread the beans on the bottom of a glass bowl or high-sided dish. Over this sprinkle the sharp cheddar. Next, plop your sour cream. And spread it into a single layer, being careful not to disturb the cheese underneath.

The next layer is the guacamole. Spread it over the sour cream. Follow this with a layer of Monterey Jack Cheese and a nice sprinkling of chopped black olives.

Lastly, place a generous layer of Pico de Gallo. You can also, if you have the gumption for it, sprinkle some diced jalapenos over top.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress,         Blogger...

0 comments :