Thursday, June 30, 2011

Recipe Thursday - Gnocchi (Potato Pillows)



Each Thursday, I am going to be sharing a recipe with you!
I will pick a recipe from my collection and I will be sharing where I got the recipe and everything. But I am going to include my own photo of the finished food, the original recipe, and try and share the things I changed when I made it!

I would love your help too! If you have a great recipe, especially week-night dinner recipes (but I would love all kinds of recipes) - please share it with me, by emailing me at dedesmith32@gmail.com. I will try it out and feature it on my blog! If you have cooking tips or anything else in regards to cooking and food - please email me!


This week's Recipe:
This is a great way to make gnocchi because you make it with instant potatoes and you can't even tell! These "potato pillows" as my kids call them are great! I used a garlic mushroom cream sauce when I made it - and although it was good, it was just really really rich. Next time, I will make sure and use a spaghetti sauce! But you can make these and use whatever sauce you would like!


Gnocchi (Potato Pillows)
by Joni from Red Couch Recipes

Prepare instant mashed potatoes for 12 servings using half of the water/milk as directed on the package. Make sure that you do boil the water and that you add the dried potatoes before you add the rest of the ingredients. You need hot liquid so that the potatoes reconstitute.

Stir in about 1-1/2 cups flour, 1-2 teaspoons of salt and 3 eggs. You need to be careful on the salt. If you added some to your potato mix, taste the potatoes, before you add the eggs, and adjust the salt as indicated in step 1 accordingly.

On lightly floured surface, roll the dough, with your hands, into ropes about 3/4 inches thick and about 8 to 10 inches long. The dough should be smooth and soft, not mealy. Just work with the dough a bit. You may need to add a little bit of flour.

Cut into 3/4-inch lengths.

Use a fork to make the indentations on each gnocchi. This will flatten the pasta a bit, so plump it back up with your fingers. You want the dough to have the indentations to trap more sauce. There is a tool for this that I don't have.

Bring a large kettle of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Place the gnocchi in the boiling water. The gnocchi are cooked when they rise to the top. This happens quite quickly and not all will rise to the top at one time. Remove gnocchi from the boiling water with a slotted spoon. Serve with desired sauce.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress,         Blogger...

0 comments :