Sunday, May 2, 2010

Life 365: Week 18

Monday, April 26, 2010

It was finally another nice day and my kids couldn't wait to play outside after school. They played for a few hours and constantly came in to tell me about things they saw and things they were doing. They were very cute. Beth loves worms and JJ helped her find several worms to put in a container of dirt. They kept coming in to show me their findings. It wasn't until I went out to call them in for dinner that I found out where they were getting all the worms. JJ was tearing out all the bricks that were in the ground to make a pathway by the shed. After being angry about it for awhile, I finally realized how cute it actually was. JJ was helping his sister find worms. He didn't realize he was moving stuff that wasn't supposed to be moved. Silly kids.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tonight was JJ's Pack Meeting. It was so exciting because he got his first 2 awards in the scouting program. He received his Bobcat badge and his Badminton belt loop. Part of getting the bobcat badge was painting lines on JJ's cheeks. He wasn't so sure about that one and really didn't want me to do it. When he saw one of his scoutmates getting it done - he finally let me paint it on him - but as soon as he got home he washed it off - no paint faces for him!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A big fan of Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes), Joey wanted our kids to be attached to their stuffed animals. In trying to encourage this, he would ask Beth if she would let him borrow her stuffed tiger (which he had bought for her at the Hogle Zoo and named "Sasha") at night. This has quickly got out of control as now Beth has to have someone watching Sasha anytime she's away from the house, and has asked Joey to take Sasha to work with him several times. Joey's co-workers have got quite the kick out of seeing Sasha's head popping out of his backpack and attending his meetings. Sasha is Daddy's "helper" and Beth's comfort! I'm not sure what we would do if we lost Sasha - let's hope that it never happens!

April 29, 2010

I have some great visiting teachers. I have been so swamped getting ready for NSD and other things that I haven't had a chance to have them come over this month. They dropped by some yummy banana bread that the kids and I snacked on all day. They really are very sweet.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Joey had an early appointment with his Rheumatologist. It was in Sandy so he was just going to stay up there and work at Pete's house, but his leg was all swollen in a way that it shouldn't be, so they decided he needed an ultrasound. They could only find one hospital that could do it today and that was the Timpanogos Hospital here in Orem, so he came back home. At 3pm, he left to go get his ultrasound, with the plan to leave from the hospital to go do his podcast. The kids came home from school, we had snack and playtime and about 5pm, we left to go pickup my cousin, Heather who was in town for the BYU Womens conference. I hadn't seen her in a year and was very happy to have some time to visit with her. We haven't actually been close in proximity ever, but I feel like we have kept a pretty good relationship through the years between emailing, and recently through Facebook/blogs. She's a wonderful person and I'm so glad I had a chance to catch up with her. We picked Heather up and went to Hogi Yogi's where we had yummy sandwiches and yogurt. Amidst the visiting and handling my wound-up kids, I missed several calls from Joey. Finally JJ interrupted my visiting with Heather and said, "Mom, you're phone is ringing." I missed the call again, only to find out that I had missed several calls. I called Joey back and it was now close to 6:30pm and I expected Joey to be in Salt Lake City. But no, he was still at the hospital where he had just been informed that he had 18 blood clots in his leg and 1 in his lung. It was so shocking to hear and especially over the phone where I couldn't be with Joey. Joey informed me that he was going to go do the podcast now and then we would talk later. So fortunately, I stayed calm - finished visiting with Heather and then dropped her back off at the BYU dorms before heading home. After the kids went to bed, I did research on blood clots, worked on final preparations for NSD, and had a freak out before Joey finally arrived home and we were able to talk. A huge day.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Another crazy day. Joey and I slept in a little bit and then he headed off to the pharmacy to get his medications. Unfortunately, he had a hard time finding a pharmacy with the right stuff - and so when my NSD crop started - he still wasn't home. The crop went well - even though the kids had a rough time, so I was trying to do my crop and handle the kids at the same time. We made it through and finally Joey got home. Joey's doing pretty well, but the worst thing is having to give himself injections in the stomach for 5 days. The needle doesn't really bother him - but the medicine is really hurting him. I just pray that this medicine will help and that we can get the blood clots to go away.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

We stayed home from church today. But our home teachers came over and was able to give Joey a blessing and I pray that it will help him through the next several days.

For our Family Movie Night, we watched The Sound of Music and made mexican haystacks for our "hills are alive." The kids enjoyed it, even though it was quite the stretch to make the movie and dinner match this week!

And here is my weekly layout:

I used my Renewal & DIGITAL 365 to create this layout!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress,         Blogger...


Sparky4 said...

My brother had a stuffed "mousie" that he was extremely attached to. My parents bought two and rotated them (so they each got worn) and so they didn't have to worry about it getting lost. Don't know if that's possible for you (if you can still find that kind of tiger) but it's an idea :)

Cherbear said...

My dad had to take those shots and they told us to pinch the skin and hold it while we injected the shot (over a count of ten) and kept it pinched while we removed the needle. We were told it would help with the bruising and my dad didn't have bruising until he had to go back to the hospital and they had to give the shots. I wish you the best with these shots.

Marsha said...

i am sorry your family is having such problems - god go with him and prayers for a speedy recovery success - i had no idea you were coping with that as well as the chat - you really are special

fl_connie said...

Thanks for another mask, DeDe - so sorry to hear about your Joey! I'm sending prayers & hugs for both of you!

Stater said...

DeDe... I'm surprised they sent Joey home. Wow...

When I had my blood clots I was in the hospital 2 weeks. The 1st couple of days in ICU & then the rest in the cardiac ward. They wouldn't even let me get up & walk around until the last couple of days. For fear the clots would move...

Basically they pumped me full of blood thinner & gave my body time to try & absorb or start absorbing the clots. In the end I was on blood thinners for 6 months.

My clots were all in my lungs... caused a pulmonary embolism. Very scary!

Anyway, I hope Joey gets better real soon!

Breeoxd said...

wow,I too, am very surprised they sent him home. Lots of my family have had clots and they were never sent home for less than a week later.. I hope they are giving him lots of warfarin or coumadin and that he is really staying off his feet. He must be careful, particularly with the lung one! well wihes to you and yours, I hope he feels better quick!