Thursday, September 18, 2014

Recipe Thursday | Fancy Schmancy Tuna Noodle Casserole

Fancy Schmancy Tuna Noodle Casserole by DeDe Smith

Fancy Schmancy 
Tuna Noodle Casserole
by DeDe Smith

This week's Recipe:
This is my take on the traditional Tuna Noodle Casserole. I added a lot of veggies and it makes it so colorful and perfect for Fall. It also includes a unique topping (as you actually take 3 different types of crumbs and add them together)!

I have a big fondness for casseroles. I know many people do not like "cream of" soups added to their casseroles and it is healthier for you to not use those - but I actually love the taste, so I do use it sometimes. I did add a can of cream of mushroom soup in this recipe to thicken it up a bit - but you could totally NOT use it and be fine. I loved this dish. It had a lot of flavor and I love all the added veggies. My kids even ate it after a little encouragement (because of the veggies.)


2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz mushrooms, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
16 oz egg noodles
3 cups sharp cheddar/monterey jack, grated
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup half 'n half
1 can cream of mushroom soup (optional)
1 bag frozen peas
1 bag frozen corn
2 cans of tuna in water, drained and flaked
4 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup potato chips, crushed
18 Ritz Crackers, crushed
1 cup Italian Breadcrumbs



Add olive oil to a large skillet and add onions and garlic. Cook for a few minutes and then add mushrooms. Cook for a few more minutes and then add celery and peppers. Cook on Medium-Low until mushrooms are browned and all vegetables are tender.

To the skillet add chicken broth, half 'n half, and cream of mushroom soup. Heat until boiling and then stir in peas, corn, and tuna. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook your egg noodles according to package directions for al dente. Drain and then add to a large casserole dish. Immediately stir in 2 of the cups of grated cheese and stir so it melts all over the noodles.

Pour sauce over the noodles. Top with remainder of grated cheese. 

Mix potato chips, ritz crackers, and bread crumbs and butter and spread over the top.
Bake at 400 degrees for  30 minutes.


______________________________
On Recipe Thursdays, I am going to be sharing a recipe with you! I will pick a recipe from my collection and I will be sharing where I got the recipe and everything. But I am going to include my own photo of the finished food, the original recipe, and try and share the things I changed when I made it!

I would love your help too! If you have a great recipe, especially week-night dinner recipes (but I would love all kinds of recipes) - please share it with me, by emailing me at dedesmith32@gmail.com. I will try it out and feature it on my blog! If you have cooking tips or anything else in regards to cooking and food - please email me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress,         Blogger...

0 comments :